Monday, July 28, 2008

The Power of Positive Winking

So no iPod today...drove my car. Which poses quite a problem as I face the blog. What the hell am I supposed to say? I could leave it blank, which would disappoint my sisters and Larry and my cousin and maybe Melody if she isn't too busy and my folks, but the whole thrust of a blog is to PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. Even if barely anyone is paying attention.

I could write about the music I listened to this weekend, Dwight Yoakam's 'A Long Way Home' while I did the dishes, Elvis Costello's 'King of America' while chilling and reading 'Then We Came To The End' by Joshua Ferris, both of which are pure joy to sing along with. In college I used to do work out listening to 'King of America', forcing myself to sing along in addition to whatever exercise I was doing. His singing on that is incredible.

I could write about finally seeing 'Knocked Up', watching it twice, once alone and once with Melody, laughing, crying, cheering. What is up with Apatow? Seriously, someone needs to elect that guy President. At the very least the country would be a huge hit and funny.

I could write about how much I miss Cashel while he vacations in Maine with his GrandpaMike, but at the same time how proud I am of him for taking it in stride and enjoying himself. Tough kid.

But now I've already written about all of those things, what now?

In fact, what now is the overriding question of the moment for me in almost every aspect of my life. Which, depending on the time of day you catch me, is either really exciting or terrifying. As I write this I feel a tug of both, with terrifying feeling unsure of itself and barely grasping me and really exciting has a nice hold on the end of my shirt.

What now?

WHAT NOW?

If you throw a comma in there it becomes aggressive...

What, now?

Actually, not aggressive, but tentative! Which is really at the bottom of a question like that anyways. In many ways it is a question I already know the answer to. Posing it out loud is more of a mission statement than a query.

So today I'm going to focus on the now instead of the what.

And look forward to the iPod tomorrow so I don't have to dredge this hooey up again!

Wink, wink.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

tired of the shuffle, the randomness that the ipod god assigns....

all randomness is a pattern, which speaks and defines and is god...

but there is also a playlist, best of, and most recently played...

I would love to hear the best of...top ten, decided...done..best ever..and watch your head explode...that kind of defining...could u decide that? out of 8000 songs?? top ten?? I dare u.

I miss the stories...the structure, the shuffle is like a kayak without a paddle drifting into the banks or the rapids...you decide...

The stories are the shit...fricking
jet fueled, sleak lined...products, engaged and ready to disperse...I wanna hear the stories you blog genius....stories...you gottem...we wanna hear'em...

or you can shuffle off to buffalo..

who the fuck am i, right?

blibbity blah...
the meanderings of your buddy....c u in class.

Brendan O'Malley said...

i love the stories as well but the problem is that they entail REMEMBERING things.

which i don't anymore. or, i've pretty much covered every concert i've ever been to.

this was a way to continue to peruse my taste with a critical eye.

but perhaps there is a way to fuse the two methods...

hmmms...

thinking...

Anonymous said...

not just music storiessss....!!! You...BOM, you...blog genius...jeezy peezy...you think we're tuning in for the songs??? nooo....just tell us stories ol wise one...you sister's got this game down...come on..it's all in the family.....xo

Lars Shalom said...

the aliens are here and they love christ!!! plus: 'Conversation with Jesus!! search 'aliens', 'jesus'

Anonymous said...

god bless the aliens and jesus: rabbi...god bless us, everyone.....(especially brendan)